A summer camp like none other! Families will learn, connect, and explore together in the most beautiful place in America, the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore!
Dr. Hallowell and Rob Himburg have created a one-of-a-kind weeklong camp for families with children ages 8 to 18. Now in it's 12th year, parents participate with Dr. Hallowell in highly interactive, discussion-based seminars, while children work and play with Rob in highly experiential, adventure-learning programs. The combination of these parallel programs have had exponential growth effects for families - transforming past patterns and opening the way for better communication, understanding, and connection. In fact, these programs have been so helpful that, based on camper feedback and demand, we are thrilled to now offer two simultaneous camps for new and returning families! New campers thrive from a more structured curriculum, while returning campers process their post-camp experiences and develop new skills.
From childhood through adulthood, ADHD can present both difficult dilemmas as well as unique opportunities for change, growth, and success. Dr Hallowell's goal is to help people master the power of ADHD while avoiding its pitfalls. When ADHD diagnoses emphasize what is wrong, people start to regard themselves with negativity including shame, fear, and self-doubt. When ADHD treatments begin, however, with efforts to identify what is good, useful, and powerful, people start to regard themselves with positivity emphasizing their strengths and unique gifts and encouraging acceptance, courage, and authenticity.
When explaining ADHD to a child, Dr Hallowell says, "You have a turbo charged mind - like a Ferrari engine, but you have the brakes of a bicycle. Don't worry, though, because Rob and I are brake experts." When ADHD is properly treated, the person can fulfill their dreams and succeed in whatever ways their talents lead them. Many doctors, lawyers, CEO's, inventors, actors, writers, explorers, entrepreneurs, and innovators in diverse fields all have the trait so misleadingly called ADHD.
Interweaving introductory information with advanced material based on a strength-based approach to diagnosis and treatment, these seminars will show you how to unwrap the gifts of ADHD and help yourself and/or those who have it to succeed at the very highest of levels.
Daily Schedule* - July 15 - 20, 2018
- Sunday Evening Welcome Reception
- New camper seminars Monday through Friday from 9am to noon
- Returning camper seminars Monday through Thursday from 1pm to 3pm
- Kids activities include art, music, kayaking, farming, and mindfulness
- Breakfast Monday through Friday
- Lunch-To-Go Monday through Thursday
- Dinner Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday
- Special after-dinner activities Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday
- Evenings by the pool and on the beach with bonfires and s'mores
- Special Group Photos in Camp T-Shirts
- Morning mindfulness practices
To discuss how you and your family may benefit from this transformative experience, call Sue Hallowell, LICSW (781) 820-0881
cost per person includes:
- 12 meals, 1 reception
- Adult seminars with Dr. Hallowell: New Campers 15 hours, Returning Campers 8 hours
- Child/teen seminars with Rob Himburg: New Campers 15 hours, Returning Campers 8 hours
- Children's activities with transportation
- Camp T-Shirt
- A one-of-a-kind experience for parents and children with ADHD!
Dr. HALLOWEll'S Distraction Podcast Episode about camp
Detroit Free Press touts Glen Arbor as one of the top places to visit in 2018!
What Parents are saying about last year's camp:
"This experience was fantastic for both my kids and myself. We all learned so much and enjoyed meeting the other families and spending time in such a beautiful setting."
"It was a fantastic experience and will foster deep discussions with my son regarding his ADHD for a long time to come."
"This camp has truly been eye-opening and life-changing! Thank you for helping us unwrap our ADHD gifts!"
"If you are questioning whether or not to go, GO!